This site uses its own cookies to improve your Internet surfing experience and that of third parties to send you online promotional messages with your preferences. For more detailed information and to change your cookie settings, click here. If you click on the “OK” key or if you continue surfing, you accept the use of cookies.

E-Concierge

1843

Josep Taberner and his son Salvador, from Guils de Cerdanya, open a textile store at number 15 Carrer Boqueria.

1848

Salvador Taberner moves the shop to number 23 on the same street, which at that time enjoyed bustling commercial activity.

1854

After repeated requests from the people of Barcelona, the government of Isabel II agrees to knock down the city walls.

Store in Pla de la Boqueria. Detail from the painting by Achille Battistuzzi from 1873 exhibited at the MNAC (National Art Museum of Catalonia) in Barcelona.

1859

Salvador Taberner moves the store again to number 1 Carrer Boqueria, to larger premises cornering with Pla de la Boqueria, just a few metres from the Gran Teatro del Liceo opera house in Barcelona. This was the location of the old entrance, knocked down in 1777, where tradition places the martyrdom of Saint Eulalia in Roman times, thus the new store was known by the people of Barcelona as Almacenes Santa Eulalia.

1894

His son Domingo Taberner expands the establishment to the adjoining premises of numbers 3, 5, and 7 Carrer Boqueria. At that time the store already had a prestigious reputation as it was one of the biggest and best-stocked in Barcelona.

Blueprints of the new building in Pla de la Boqueria in 1868.

1898

Domingo Taberner decides to demolish the four buildings and build a new one in their place where he puts, on the top, an image of Saint Eulalia that can still be seen today. The modernista architect Pere Falqués, creator of the streetlamps on Passeig de Gràcia, supervises the permit and construction begins at the end of 1899.

1901

The new building, bigger and more stately than the earlier ones, is inaugurated as a spectacular establishment with several floors and with the now official name of ‘Grandes Almacenes Santa Eulalia’.

Store in Pla de la Boqueria in 1928.

1908

Domingo Taberner, by this time a great man of business and finance with interests in several sectors, looks for a partner to manage the business. He finds Lorenzo Sans Vidal, who already had plenty of experience in the trade as he'd owned a textile store since 1884, called Las Columnas and also in Carrer Boqueria, at number 28.

1915

Domingo Taberner dies with no descendants and his widow sells her share to Sans, who himself dies two years later.

1917

His son, Luis Sans Marcet, takes over the business at just 22 years of age. His uncle Joan Marcet, owner of the Marcet Bank in Terrassa, helps him with the management.

Illustration from 1885 of the ‘Las Columnas’ store at number 28 Carrer Boqueria.

Lorenzo Sans together with his wife, his son Luis and his daughters in 1915.

1926

The first fashion show takes place on the upper floor of the store, making it a pioneer of the new Parisian formula for presenting fashion. This initiative emerged from the talent of Pedro Formosa, Creative Director of the company until 1970. Due to the show's great success, all subsequent events were by strict personal invitation only.

Announcement from 1922 informing clients about the latest additions for the season.

1927-1934

Advertising posters designed by the famous poster artists José Luis Rey and Henry Ballesteros between 1927 and 1934, in line with the artistic movement of the period.

1934

Façade and interior of the store in Pla de la Boqueria after the reform.

1936

The company is collectivised during the Spanish Civil War and its name changed to Santeulalia, without the ‘a’ of Santa, used to manufacture military uniforms for officers. An article in a local newspaper questions the usefulness of a company dedicated to haute couture in the new republican society.

Announcement from 1929 informing clients about the made-to-measure military uniforms.

1941

The haute couture workshop and the sale of fabrics and accessories for women are moved to number 60 Passeig de Gràcia. The inauguration of the spectacular store of more than 2500 m2 has to be delayed a few days in mourning for the death of Alfonso XIII in Rome.

A few days later the first fashion show for the prestigious Spanish Haute Couture Cooperative takes place in the dome of the Coliseo Theatre, with the participation of Santa Eulalia and other big companies in the sector.



1944

The tailoring workshop and sale of men’s accessories are moved to number 93 Passeig de Gràcia, with the store on Carrer Boqueria closing for good after more than 100 years in the city’s historic centre.

1949

Santa Eulalia inaugurates a store in Tangiers. In 1950, in the Hotel Minzah, the collections from Barcelona are presented, enjoying huge success among the international colony. The store would close some years later due to political instability in North Africa.

1951

Lorenzo Sans Roig, third generation, joins the Santa Eulalia team.

Lorenzo Sans Roig, third generation and father of Luis Sans, with Miss Cotton in the year 1960 at the store’s exit at number 60 Passeig de Gràcia.

Fashion show at the Hotel Minzah in Tangiers in 1953

1955

Santa Eulalia dedicates its window displays to the Wagner Festival in Barcelona, receiving the appreciation of the composer’s grandson.

1956

An international display of haute couture is held in Venice where dresses from Santa Eulalia and other Spanish fashion designers are presented.

1958

The haute couture workshops, which already occupied several floors, are expanded at the 60 Passeig de Gràcia establishment. The company then had more than 750 employees at its two sites.

Haute couture workshop no. 3 in the store at 60 Passeig de Gràcia in 1958.

1960

Santa Eulalia opens its water sports section and a few years later inaugurates its facilities at Port Balís in St. Andreu de Llavaneres, under the coordination of Ricardo Sans. In 1963 the firm takes part in the first Boat Show held in the city, something that Santa Eulalia would continue to do until the 1980s.

1963

The Santa Eulalia team travels to New York to present its haute couture collections.

Ricardo Sans with Their Royal Highnesses, the Prince and Princess of Asturias, at the Santa Eulalia stand in the boat show at the beginning of the 1970s.


1968

Santa Eulalia launches its first collection of prêt-à-porter for women, with Jorge Olesti as Creative Director while Pere Formosa remains Head of Haute Couture.

The Santa Eulalia team boards with New York as its destination.

Lorenzo Sans Roig in the year 1960 in the haute couture salons of the 60 Passeig de Gràcia store, together with some models after a fashion show.

Prêt-à-porter model from the 1970s.


1981

Due to his father’s age, Lorenzo Sans takes over the direction of the company, in which he'd worked from the age of 16. He's from the third generation of the Sans family and the sixth to head the company.

1987

A store dedicated to men’s fashion is opened at 8 Avenida Pau Casals, the centre of luxury fashion in Barcelona at that time.

Store at 8 Pau Casals in 2007.

1988

After the unexpected death of Lorenzo Sans, management is passed on to his son Luis when he was just 22, in a way repeating the story of 1917 when his grandfather took over the company at the same age.

1992

Joan Antoni Samaranch, president of the IOC, inaugurates the Barcelona Olympic Games in 1992 wearing a suit made at Santa Eulalia’s tailoring workshop.

1995

The company’s last haute couture fashion show is held and the prêt-à-porter collection is moved from 60 Passeig de Gràcia to 12 Ferràn Agulló.

2006

The prêt-à-porter women’s department is inaugurated again at 93 Passeig de Gràcia with big names in international design and led by Sandra Domínguez, wife of Luis Sans.

2009

The store is moved temporarily to the adjacent premises at 91 Passeig de Gràcia while the building undergoes major remodelling

2010

Santa Eulalia inaugurates its digital platform with an event sponsored by Scott Schuman.

Sandra Domínguez and Luis Sans in the provisional store at 91 Passeig de Gràcia.

Sandra Domínguez and Luis Sans in the provisional store at 91 Passeig de Gràcia together with Scott Schuman.

2011

After two years of construction work, the store is reopened at 93 Passeig de Gràcia in a space of over 2000 m2. A large part of the furniture is recuperated from previous sites, including pieces from Carrer Boqueria. The establishment has its own tailoring workshop, prêt-à-porter with leading brands for men and women, a pop-up store and a restaurant with a terrace.

Presented by the Mayor, Santa Eulalia receives the Gold Medal for Civic Merit from the City of Barcelona due to its contribution to the city’s prestige. Months later it receives the prize for best business initiative from the Catalan government and a year later from the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness of the Spanish government.

For more information see the store section

2014

Santa Eulalia is named one of the 30 top menswear stores in the world by Pitti Uomo in Florence and The Business of Fashion.

2015

Santa Eulalia inaugurates its online store to attend to its national and international clientele and to reach an even broader public.